Monday, January 7, 2008

New Beginnings & Once a Month Cooking

John started college today! WooHoo! He is now a full-time student. I am so proud of this picture guys- but I am gonna be burstin' when he finishes this up in a couple of years. He is taking Algebra, Public Speaking, American Government, Psychology & Social Deviance. He is really looking forward to the last two classes (kind of makes him a little twisted don't ya think). He is going to get his Associates in Criminal Justice at Moberly, then move on to Truman or Columbia College or Mizzou (or wherever will take him) to finish that up along with a minor in business management. He would like to be a probation/parole or juvenile officer. Keep praying for him- it is gonna be kind of a culture shock for his big farm-boy self.

Okay- on to "once a month cooking". I took a little class through the church on this years ago and have done it a couple times and it really helps out. Not only do you have one major cook day, but it severely cuts down on the dirty pots and pans during the week. This time I made several bags of frozen cookie balls. Just take your favorite cookie dough recipe- I use the littlest pampered chef scoop and scoop balls of dough onto a cookie sheet. Then I stick them in the freezer for 1/2 an hour or so. Throw a dozen balls into a quart freezer bag and your ready to go. So much cheaper than the break and bake cookies. I usually need to add a minute or two when I bake these.
I also browned 4 pounds of hamburger- that I divided into bags for chili, tacos, and speghetti. So that is at least one step done for those meals.
I also made Canadian Bacon pinwheels. You take 1 frozen Rhodes Bread Loaf. Let it thaw then roll it out to about 24 inches long and maybe 6 inches across. Sprinkle on a cup of mozzarella cheese, and a package of canadian bacon , roll it up then slice into 24 sections. Cook for 20 minutes at 400. Let cool then put in bags. 2 more meals ready to go.

The last thing I made was calzones. You need 2 frozen bread loaves for this one. Let them thaw- then cut. I cut one loaf into 6 sections, and one into 10 sections- so these will be smaller calzones for the kids. Then just roll each section out to a circle, fill with cheese, beef, pepperoni, canadian bacon, sprinkle with garlic and italian seasoning-whatever your family would like. Then fold over and pinch down the sides.
Stick these on a baking sheet and freeze for 1/2 hour or so. Then repackage them for meals. I put a plain-hamburger & cheese only- one in for John, a garic-y one for me, and 2 little pepperoni ones in for the kids in each bag. It made enough for 3 meals like this plus a bag of 4 small calzones we can eat some day when John is at school. Both of these recipes are great served with hot marinara sauce and a salad.
You can also make these with taco meat and cheese- these serve with salso and taco fixings, or make them with bbq meat inside or just ham and cheese. Lots of options and all yummy!
Cost rundown for ya.
Canadian Bacon Pinwheels
1 loaf bread- 88 cents
1 to 1 1/2 cups of Mozz. cheese $1 to 1.50
1 pack canadian bacon $1.98
Total cost: $3.86-$4.16 for 2 MEALS!
Calzones
2 loaves of bread $1.74
.5 pounds hamburger- we butcher so I don't have a cost for this one
.5 pack of pepperoni- $1.50
2 cups mozzerella- $2
Total $5.25 plus beef for 4 MEALS!
I am sure you can't be nearly impressed as I am about those low low numbers- but it just thrills me to save money right now when we are broke! And this stuff is yummy! I would love to see some other recipes that would work for "OAMC". Of course I have to adapt everything to my picky eaters, but as of now I have 6 suppers in the freezer and burger ready for 4 more! Has anyone else ever done this?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember Kim Winkler and Kendis used to do this all the time...I love the concept, HATE to cook, love cheap so maybe I'll have to try it. Do you have the OAMC cookbook?

rbecca91 said...

I know that Barb Brucks does this. You might ask her for more recipes. Our Women's group at church wants to start something like this, let me know if you find anymore good recipes.

R

Kim said...

I have done this and I still have the little cook-book we got from Kim Winklers class.
I don't know why I do these things and think they are great and then kind of forget about it until one day someone brings it up and I think..."oh, yeah. I should do that again."

Kim said...

I am so proud of John as well. I will be praying for him/you through it.
Hey, I was just wondering....Do they have back packs in the Big and Tall section at Penneys?

Erin Koch said...

Kim that is so funny- you know the boy couldn't just have a regular sized backpack!

Amy- I do have the cookbook that we go at the church. These recipes were pretty easy.

Kristi Smith said...

Good for John!!!

I have never done the once a month cooking. Sounds like good recipes, I will have to try it one of these days.

Anonymous said...

I got the Everything Once a Month cook book and it has a ton of recipes and shopping lists to go with them. I think I am going to give it a try this weekend. My mom and I are going grocery shopping friday and cooking saturday so I'll let you know how it goes and pass on some easy, cheap and good recipes as I find them. Anything has got to be better than my current "what are we going to do about dinner" plan that is clearly not working! Thanks for the idea.
And I like John's backpack!!! :) Again better than my "where is that paper" plan...which is clearly not working! hehe